Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pickled Red Onions and Bell Peppers


Aaaahhh, the peace and quiet of winter break. I am soaking it all in around here: twinkling lights, quality time with my nearest and dearest, and a stack of library books. I am excited to share these two Moosewood delights today. These took me under 30 minutes to throw together: Pickled Red Onions and Bell Peppers.


Pickled Red Onions are just that: thinly sliced red onions in a simple pickling brine of apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, whole peppercorns, and water. Real talk: I have never pickled anything before. These look wonderful though. Mollie suggests putting them on a variety of things: sandwiches, salads, and on homemade pizza. I'll try them on the pizza I am making tonight!


Next I made the bell peppers. These were simple sauteed bell peppers seasoned with oregano, basil, and garlic. After cooking them, red wine vinegar was stirred into the pan.


Both of these dishes are marinating at room temperature right now and will be tasted tonight with dinner. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment