Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chilled Beet Borscht


There are two types of people in the world: people that love beets and people that hate them. People seem to either make the "icky" face whenever I talk about them, or they light up with a smile. I, personally, love beets, but didn't get into them until I was an adult. I'm so glad I tried them, because they are so healthy and versatile!

Last week I made Chilled Beet Borscht. I started by softening some beets on the stove. Beets are highly photogenic. I will never tire of that divine color.

After the beet had softened and cooled, I added some of the other ingredients to the soup: dill, a little buttermilk, salt, pepper, and some minced dill pickle. The dill pickle was really lovely, it added just the right amount of crunch and salty goodness.  I garnished the soup with a little slice of hard boiled egg.

I've never had cold soup like this before, and I thought it was really good.  I shared some with a little friend as well, and turns out, he's one of my kind: he loves beets!

No comments:

Post a Comment