Saturday, February 5, 2011

Eggplant-Almond Enchiladas and Mexican Red Sauce


Oh man you guys, these Eggplant-Almond Enchiladas with Mexican Red Sauce are no joke! They were so good!  I had never made enchiladas from scratch before, and I have to admit, I was a little intimidated. Enchiladas always taste so seasoned and complex! Little did I know it's not too complicated and they come out BETTER than any sort of sauce mix or plate of Mexican food you pay $$$ for. I'll always make mine at home from now on!

I started by making the sauce: onion, tomatoes, tomato juice, cumin, chili pepper, cayenne, garlic, and jalapeno! I made the "hot sauce" version. Everything simmered and blended and simmered some more with a sprinkling of cilantro at the end. Delightful!

The filling consisted of onion, eggplant (which I partially peeled for a little less tough skin action), garlic, green bell pepper, toasted almonds, and jack cheese.  Jack cheese is officially my new favorite cheese! It is so creamy and divine!

So, after the sauce had sufficiently simmered and the eggplant filling had softened, it was time to assemble the enchiladas. Having never worked with corn tortillas before, I was nervous. The tortillas were really stiff and didn't soften much after soaking them in water. Not gonna lie, I had a little bit of a break down when the tortillas tore in the baking pan.  I am such a perfectionist sometimes!  Although they didn't look beautiful, I took some big, deep breaths and trekked on.  I covered the filled tortillas in enchilada sauce and sprinkled the remaining jack cheese on top.  After baking the enchiladas for about a half an hour, I sprinkle some more cilantro on top and it was ready to be served!  We had a little green salad, some rice, and two drinks: sangria and water!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment