Friday, February 4, 2011

Samosas and Gingered Carrot Soup



There are three components to Samosas: dough, filling, and sauce. I will describe each part that make up this delightful Indian pastry.

The Dough:
The dough is made from flour, yogurt, and a little salt. We kneaded the dough for about five minutes and divided it into one inch balls which were then rolled and filled.

The Filling:
Oooooh, the filling. Made mostly of potatoes and peas, the filling also has onion, garlic, freshly grated ginger, mustard seeds, coriander, cayenne, and lemon juice. I ate this plain, with a spoon, until I was scolded. It was spicy and hearty!

The Sauce:
The dipping sauce for the samosas was Charlie's favorite part. I thought it was too potent and made my nose all tingly! Cider vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, salt, and a little water simmered down on the stove and was served warm with the finished samosas.

We also made Gingered Carrot Soup which went perfectly with the samosas. This soup was so good!  It was like a fancy, curried nut butter.



I started by boiling carrots on the stove until they were soft. I cooked onion with garlic, freshly grated ginger, salt, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, and lemon juice. Cashews were lightly toasted in a pan on the stove. Everything went into the blender (including the water I boiled the carrots in) and came out so smooth and flavorful.  Mmm, I dream of this soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment