Friday, January 7, 2011

Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding


An afternoon treat for this terrible dark and drizzly Friday afternoon: Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding! Now, a moment of honesty... I didn't believe it when I read Mollie's description for this dessert: "transcendent served warm, with ice cream!" Really?! Could some simple dessert distract me from these January blues? I was willing to give a it a try, but with a killer headache, unrelenting damp darkness, and a stack of homework calling my name, I was a skeptic.

Anyways, here's the nitty gritty. I cubed a few cups of white bread. I used some recently purchased but not totally awesome organic white bread hamburger buns. I whisked eggs and milk and salt and vanilla. I poured the custard over the cubes of bread. Paused for a moment. Gazed outside at the drear. Looked down at the uncooked bread pudding... and realized I forgot an essential ingredient! SUGAR! I had to improvise a little bit here.  I thought about sprinkling the sugar on top of the bread pudding, but instead I just poured everything out, added the sugar, and mixed it with a spoon.  It actually turned out OK and was only a little bit hard to get out of the pan. Next time I will spray with some nonstick cooking spray beforehand.


I served the bread pudding with some canned peach slices and it was quite nice. The bread pudding reminded me of French toast, only baked. And I have to admit, there was a moment where I was able to push aside the rain, the school stress, and the ache in my brain and make room for this warm, tasty dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment