Saturday, April 9, 2011

Orange Cake


I made Orange Cake this morning for a birthday celebration.  The journey began by preparing three bowls: a bowl of sifted flour and baking soda, a bowl of yogurt, orange juice, and a little salt, and a bowl of creamed butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and orange rind.


After combing the three bowls into one, I baked the batter in a loaf pan. The cake baked pretty quickly and got nice and brown on top.


So, after the cake cooled, I inverted it onto a plate and made the glaze. Sugar, orange and lemon juice, and a little orange liqueur bubbled away on the stove.


I used a toothpick and poked the bottom side of the cake all over. I thought that by doing this, the glaze would really get down into the cake!  To be honest, I don't think this method really worked, and next time I will probably just follow Mollie's directions and pour the hot glaze on top.



I sliced up the cake and set it out on a plate. I was worried that it hadn't completely cooked through, but it had! The cake was sweet, but not too sweet. Next time I might try using frozen orange juice concentrate instead of fresh ... which I kind of can't believe I am saying! The orange flavor just wasn't particularly strong.

4 comments:

  1. Saaaalivatiiing. Your blog is truly scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy! I appreciate the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm.

    by the way, i started following you on bloglovin! i know i'm the first... but you should look into one! http://bloglovin.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ainsley! I signed up for bloglovin last week and hecka follow you too :* While I will continue to read blogs on Google Reader (I am addicted!) I will stop in on that site from time to time :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete