Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Blueberry Pie


This is a pretty standard Blueberry Pie recipe, but of course I had to complicate it a little bit. I had never made a lattice pie prior to this and was determined to try it. The only problem was... I only had one crust to work with!

I started by tracing the bottom of the pie pan into the unbaked crust. Instead of having a full crust on the bottom of the pie, I just had enough to cover the bottommost circle.


Then I made the filling for the pie. By some miracle from God, I had exactly four cups of frozen blueberries in my freezer! Amazing!  I zested a lemon, squeezed its juicy goodness in there, and added flour and sugar. I love the way the blueberry juice made everything sort of hazy pink once combined.


Then it was time to assemble the lattice!  Using the remaining pie crust, I rolled it out and sliced thin lines. I used to study my mom's Betty Crocker cookbook as a little girl, and I as I worked, I could see the black and white photo instructions for making a lattice pie crust in my mind. I think it turned out just right, especially for my first time!


And how did it taste!? Pretty darn spectacular. I especially loved the lemon zest. I think blueberry and lemon and lattice are a match made in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment