Friday, September 17, 2010

Apricot Almond Bread



Apricot Almond Bread is the perfect treat for someone who doesn't like their sweets too sweet. The bread has apricots and a little maple syrup but beyond that, nothing to make it really sugary. I was concerned that the almonds would be too overpowering and too tough to crunch, but the sliced almonds gave it a tender touch of crispiness.

First I softened the apricots on the stove in simmering water. I added butter, maple syrup, orange zest, an egg, flour, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and salt to the bowl.


Then I baked the loaf for a little over an hour. It came out beautifully; brown and crisp on top and tender in the center of each slice.


My favorite part of the process was inverting the loaf of bread onto a wire rack. I get such a satisfaction out of taking something whole like that, stressing it out, and keeping it whole. See little loaf, I knew you could do it. You're fine! Pleasing to my core.

Second only to inverting is slathering the finished product in butter and consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment