Thursday, September 23, 2010

Apple Strudel

Apple Strudel was a delicate and complex process.  I have skipped over this recipe for a while, but because it contains such perfect autumn ingredients, I decided that today I would finally do it.

First, I layered sheets of filo dough brushed with melted butter.

Then I filled the dough with the good stuff: apples, lemon zest, cinnamon, raisins, sugar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. 

This recipe made three rolls of strudel. I baked one off today and saved the other two for this weekend.  This one has cheddar cheese in it!  After placing the filling, I folded up the sides of the filo dough.

Then I rolled the whole thing up and brushed it with melted butter!

The strudel baked and baked, and started getting brown pretty quick. 
 
Next time I will cook it at a lower temperature for a little longer, as the outside was really done, but the apples were not completely soft. 
 

4 comments:

  1. yum! have you ever made filo dough pizza? it's so amazing. i really love everything and anything made with filo dough though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Filo dough pizza!? That sounds pretty spectacular. I have a recipe from Moosewood for Spanakopita that I want to make soon! And actually, now that I think about it... I have one of these studels in the freezer waiting to be baked off! Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Filo dough pizza! You just put down a a few layers of filo dough, some tomato sauce, cheese, toppings and cook it on i think 400, maybe a little less. i will have to find the recipe that i got from my mom and have a little do it yourself on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I can't wait to read! Your blog is one of my new favorites :) I think I got into it from Danielle/Sometimes Sweet, though now I can't really remember?? :)

    ReplyDelete