Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Summer Vegetable Soup and Custardy Popovers

My typing hands are tired but I pooled up just enough energy to tell you about Summer Vegetable Soup and Custardy Popovers. Yes, I am well aware that we have a few more days until it is officially summer, but I just couldn't wait to make this soup. It is light and healthy and you feel great after you eat it! None of that weighed down by grease business!


I started the soup by boiling a diced potato and whole garlic cloves together in a pot. Once these were tender, they were blended until smooth. After that, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, peas, zucchini, red bell pepper, corn, and spinach made their way through the steamer. I steamed them in small batches and collected them into a gradual heap, then added them to the blended potato and garlic mixture. After heating through, the soup was topped with freshly minced basil and quickly consumed!

Many of the ingredients in this soup originated locally from Full Circle Farm. If you are Seattle based reader, I highly recommend checking out their veggies at your weekly farmers market!

I had never made popovers before but after reading this blog post that Mollie Katzen linked to on her twitter, I must admit that I was quite curious! They are so light and fluffy and very easy to make. The puffiness factor made me feel like a great success and they tasted divine with a drizzle of melted butter and a little dollop of strawberry jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment