Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sri Wasano's Infamous Indonesian Rice Salad



Sri Wasano's Infamous Indonesian Rice Salad is a highly addictive situation with many fascinating components. I'm not feeling particularly descriptive tonight, so here's whutchoo put in this salad:

brown rice
fresh pineapple
green onion
celery
red bell pepper
water chestnuts (I almost left these out. I think they are disgusting, but I am trying to be a big girl with a big girl palate.)
fresh mung bean sprouts (I know I just said I'm tryin' to be a real adult, but it's one step at a time, K? I straight up left these out... anything with the word "mung" in it should surely be kept at a distance from the mouth)
raisins (Plumped these in a glass of very warm water for about 30 minutes, a trick I learned from a total stud)
toasted peanuts
toasted sesame seeds

All of this gets combined in a mild, oil based sauce with orange juice and garlic and spicy spice. It marinates in the fridge, or until you can't bear it any longer and must have a taste. So you do, and it's delightful, and both you and Charlie are surprised by the contribution, taste and texture wise, that water chestnuts have made, and think they might not be so bad after all, but hey, who knows, it could just be all the basketball you've been watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment