Friday, September 7, 2012
Gather your ingredients for making BLTs. You'll need tofu, bread, tomatoes, lettuce, mayo, oil, and some special seasoning salt.
Adapted from the Penzeys Spices catalog
1 pound extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons Mitchell Street seasoning
2-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Bread for toasting
Mayo and mustard
1. Remove tofu from package and pat dry with a paper towel. Slice with a cheese slicer or knife about 1/8" thick; about 20 to 24 slices of tofu. Lay the tofu on another paper towel and blot dry.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
3. Season the tofu with Mitchell Street seasoning pretty heavily on one side. Once the oil is hot, lay the tofu in the pan and sprinkle the other side with more seasoning. Cook 4-5 minutes and flip carefully.
4. Cook another 4-5 minutes on the other side. Transfer immediately to a paper towel lined plate.
5. Make your sandwich with remaining ingredients and eat the heck out of it!
The seasoning I used for this recipe is called Mitchell Street. I purchased it from a Penzeys store here in Seattle. You can find a store near you or order from them online! The seasoning is a combination of:
natural smoke flavor
I bet Bacon Salt would work well on these too.
Posted by Alli at 9:48 AM